Care must be taken when cleaning your shutters. Generally, dust may be easily brushed off at regular intervals. Tilt the louvres almost all the way in one direction. Using a feather duster, soft cloth, dust mitt, or vacuum cleaner with a soft furniture attachment, clean each louver individually. Then flip the louvres in the other direction and repeat. This can prevent dirt from accumulating and damaging the finish if done regularly.
To remove more significant dirt build-up, wipe louvres with a damp cloth. Add mild liquid soap if necessary. Any cleaning product that contains abrasives and caustic components should not be used, as it can adversely affect the finish. We recommend that you never immerse your shutters in water, as this can affect the paint and cause the timber to warp. Do not apply any furniture polish or wax, as this may also affect the finish. With regular maintenance, your shutters should last and look like new for many years to come.
Exterior Shutters and Doors
In Sydney and especially on the Northern Beaches, Supershades products need to stand up to some of the toughest conditions. Dealing with wind, rain, heat and saltwater. These factors push our products to perform to their best potential.
Meaning that, regular care and maintenance needs to always be performed.
Just like a car, if you were to leave a brand new car unwashed and not serviced you would void warranty.
Aluminium shutters and doors need to be cleaned and maintained at least twice a year. We recommend doing this at the start of spring and autumn.
- First make sure you run a vacuum over the product to pick up any loose dirt. Making sure that any tracks and channels are clear of dirt and debris. This will make sure none of the sliding functions of your product fail in their normal operation.
- Wipe down the whole product with a clean, moist soft cloth to keep them clean from salt air and dirt build up that can tarnish the finish on the product and cause corrosion. Use a small amount of mild soap, if needed
- Aluminium shutters are quite straight forward to clean however the pivot points, on the side of each blade, hinges and tracks is where dirt can build up. These areas need to be cleaned with a liberal amount of water and finished with a small amount of silicone spray.
- Check rollers, where able, for breakages and spray them with silicone spray to keep them running smoothly in their tracks regularly.
- Hinges, locks, pins, etc needed to be wiped down and silicone applied to them to prevent them from seizing and allowing them to move freely.
- If locks become a bit tight or hard to use – Graphic powder will help elevate this.
By doing this you will insure that your product is within warranty conditions, look great and last for a very long time.
Please note that this is for external products only.